Smash Cake Prep Guide
One of the favorite sessions we offer is our custom smash cake sessions. These are great way to celebrate and commemorate babies first birthday. This can be an emotional/stressful time for parents, so I created this guide to help you prepare for the session.
The Smash Cake Session and What to Expect:
Cake Smash Sessions generally last about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Formal Portraits: We will start the session in their formal portraits in an outfit of your choice to match the set up or one of our studio provided outfits. (Girls Normally Rompers/ Boys normally a bowtie and bottoms) Our goal here is to capture some smiles and personality and warm them up to the shoot.
- Cake Smash: We will then change babe into something more comfortable and bring in the cake.
- Bubble Bath Portraits: Let’s clean up but keep the fun going!
About that Cake:
Whether you are choosing to make or purchase your cake please keep these tips in mind. Due to concern for allergens, Life Seen Photography is not able to provide the cake. I am happy to recommend some local bakers who work closely with us by offering our clients a discounted rate, and also, happens to be our studio neighbor, Latte De Cupcakery.
Whether you are making the cake, or having it made, please consider the following items:
- Select a small cake or large cupcake, approximately 6 inches around, these are perfect for the smash session
- Please make sure that the cake is placed onto a cake round (something that can be used to transfer the cake easily from one surface to another) A piece of cardboard cut into a circle and covered in aluminum foil works just as well if you are making the cake yourself.
- Think light colors for the cake itself – red cake smeared on baby’s face tends to look like your little one just ate someone – not the best look! Same goes for chocolate, so keep that in mind.
Remove the cake from the refrigerator 2-3 hours before the session to allow the frosting to come to room temperature.
What to Bring:
- Cake- leave at room temperature a few hours prior to the session to soften the icing.
- If you would prefer your own outfit, a formal and smash. Please send over a few images to Life Seen Photography before the session to make sure that it coordinates with the set up for your smash session.
- Dry clean snacks (Cheerios or Puffs) and sippy cup of water
- Bubble bath if baby has sensitive skin (I use a tear-free baby-wash)
- Towels for drying baby off after the splash portion of our session.
- Extra Diapers
- Favorite song uploaded on your phone
- Change of clothes for little one and yourself – you will be wrangling a toddler… things get messy!
Just a few extra tips:
- Do a practice round at home to introduce cake a few weeks prior. This will rule out any allergies and give baby idea how awesome cake really is!
Let them touch and play with the cake and create a positive experience so they are excited when we bring in the cake during the session.
- Scented Bubble bath will be used unless supplied by parent (let me know of skin sensitivities)
- Bring a well-rested baby. Generally, after their first nap of the day… sometimes the car nap on the trip over is golden.
With Cake Smash Sessions comes a mess, I promise we don’t mind it and neither should you while you are here in our studio. We do lots of these sessions and know what we are getting ourselves into. LOL 😊 Remember that giggles and smiles are not always guaranteed but every reaction is priceless. Tears do happen- it’s okay!
The best sessions come from a relaxed environment; so, come ready to enjoy the full experience!